Today is black pound day in England and here is one black-owned business to discover, Vanessa Boateng-Ukoro, director of Creations by Viva.
Vanessa Boateng is the CEO of Creations By Viva an events company based in the UK.
She was featured in the Liverpool Echo as one of 10 women in the city who had turned their passion into profit.
Vanessa recently launched a skincare range called Natural Skincare Products Creations By Viva.
These products are made out of high quality plant extracts enhancing skincare naturally.
Mrs. Boateng-Ukoro has agreed to speak to Nation Scoops in an exclusive interview with editor in chief Benita Owobi.
- Have you always been entrepreneurial? What led you to taking that first step and setting up your own business?
I have always been entrepreneurial right from my school days and it has always been a passion i have always had to own my own business. I have always been led by serving people and being a solution to challenges around me which has always been my motivation in setting up my businesses.
- What are the most important things to progressing as the director of a business?
In progressing as a owner or Director of a business, your primary aim should be meeting your potential customers needs. What are the needs of the general public that you can deliver or solve? What are you passionate about in being a solution and brings you joy? If you can genuinely answer these questions then the galaxy will be your limit.
- What have been some make or break moments in your career?
There have been so many make and break moments whereby I have impressed clients with my ideas and sometimes presented something that may not be of interest to clients.
- Tell us about your encounter with the Queen of England.
I was invited by HRH Queen Elizabeth II on the 14th of February 2018 as one of many Commonwealth diaspora citizens in the UK who have been of service to their various communities because of my involvement in the Liverpool Commonwealth Association and my philanthropic service to the community in Liverpool. It was a nice feeling because I had always wished to see the Queen and I was afforded the opportunity to do so.
- Tell us about your new appointment as Councillor for Stockbridge Ward, how did you feel when you got told that you are the next voice.
I believe my appointment as Councillor for Stockbridge Ward of Knowsley Town Council was as a result of my community engagement with residents of the area. We have a growing population of minority groups in the area and someone needed to become their voice and I was unanimously chosen to take on that role. I felt honoured and privileged to accept the appointment to represent ethnic minorities in the Borough.
- How do you balance being at the head of 3 different companies at the same time?
Time management is key to whatever I lay my hands on. I make sure that I devote an amount of time to make sure that each of the companies I manage succeed.
- What one piece of advice would you give any aspiring female business leaders reading this?
My advice I would give to any aspiring female business leader reading this would be to follow the 3Ps – Passion, Perseverance and Persistent. You have to be passionate about whatever you are doing, be perseverant and persistent.
- What do you like doing in your spare time?
I don’t think I have a spare time as I am always looking for something new to develop into a business – LOL
- What’s your annoying habit?
I distaste laziness.
- Do you get used to being a celebrity?
- Who is your inspiration?
- Do you speak any other languages?
Yes – my native language Twi
- Where would you like to visit?
I would love to visit New Zealand
- If you weren’t famous, what would you be up to right now?
I will still be doing the things I am currently doing
- What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read or seen this week?
This week I was privileged to be part of a friend’s book launch. The title of her book is Befriending Adversity by Adebisi Osundeko and I must say it is a must read book for everyone wanting to make it in life. It’s available on Amazon Books.
- What would you like remembered about you?
The simple girl who believed she could think it and done it!
- What is one message you would give to your fans?
My message to my fans is – if you can think it, you can do it!